Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hurricane Ike... not gentle!

My mind is overrun with the necessary preparations for the upcoming storm in Central Texas... we are supposed to be getting somewhere around 5-6 inches of rain and 50-60mph winds! So, please pray for us, but more for the people of Beaumont and East Texas that have been issued evacuation notices due to the storm.
I cannot help but wonder if these storms are forms of God's judgement on our nation because of our wickedness. And I believe that we deserve it! Yes... it is unfortunate to witness or be a part of catastrophe, but we as a nation have removed ourselves from under the protection of our God by turning to the idols of money, fame, sex, movies, entertainment... we have fallen. Does this sound too harsh to you? Trust me... we deserve a lot worse than we get, most of the time! Just because we are taught that we "deserve the best that life has to offer" doesn't mean it's true. We live in OVERABUNDANCE! We gorge ourselves on pleasure, we forget and forsake those who are in need. Yes, we deserve to be punished...
"Father, forgive us our wickedness, and turn our eyes once again towards You! We have forgotten... we have failed You... but You are faithful. Please restore us to You, as a nation, as individuals, as a people that have been blessed time and time again! We need You... God, let us not forget the calling on our lives... To serve You, and to "look after orphans and widows in their distress" for this is what You have called "pure and undefiled religion" in Your sight. Father we have rejected and forgotten those whom You have told us to bless in Your name... we have sinned in our neglect. Please give us a passion and a desire to completely abolish the hunger issues that we see around us. You can do it, Father, we have faith in You and Your ability to work through us! Lord, that we would feed the hungry, look after the sick, give water to the thirsty, clothe the naked, visit those who are in prison... for these reasons will You say to us on the day of Judgement, 'Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.' (Matthew 25:34-36)
"Lord, I want to serve You! I want to worship as You have called worship! This is my desire, Lord, to honor You with all of my heart, strength, soul, and mind. May Your words never depart from my lips, but may I be a light unto the world for all to see, at all times."
Amen

No comments: