Monday, November 17, 2008

Contentment

"But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content." 1 Timothy 6:6-8

"As for me, I shall behold Your face in righteousness; I will be satisfied with Your likeness when I awake." Psalm 17:15

"For He has satisfied the thirsty soul,And the hungry soul He has filled with what is good." Psalm 107:9

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." Matthew 5:6

It would seem to me... from reading these verses... that we are supposed to desire the things of God. For, only through Him can we be satisfied or content. Paul tells us that godliness is great gain when it is mixed with contentment. What do you think he means by that?

Where is the gain in godliness? It's found in the attributes of God! He is faithful to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness... isn't that gain? To not be condemned to an eternity in hell? I would call that an improvement of our circumstances!

He has promised us peace when we rest in Him. Look at the world around you... all of the worries, doubts, fears... I would say that there is a great gain, even while we are here on earth, that comes from a life that is content to rest in God!

The gains of godliness do not look like the gains of the world. However, the gains of godliness hold much more value and significance than those of the world. Job said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I shall return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD." (Job 1:21) So, we see that we cannot take any of our monetary gain beyond the grave...

Let us look, though, at the gains of a life in Christ. Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-Control... the fruit of the Spirit. Also, the fact that we are no longer condemned, but may rest in the assurance of Salvation and knowing that we will, one day, go to our true home!

Now... let's look at what I'm not saying! I am not saying that we mustn't ever accept or concieve to own anything that is not a bare necessity. If this were the case... I wouldn't be writing this blog right now, or else I would be a self-proclaimed hypocrite!

Yes... I do own a computer, I also play guitar and own a piano... However, I use these things, which I firmly believe that God has allowed me to have, to bring Him glory. Such should be the case with all that we "own" (or rather... that which God has blessed us with).

I do not think that the things we own, in and of themselves, are inherently evil. It's when they become our all-consuming identity and everything that we strive for... that is when we are in danger of apostasy... the turning away from our God, the very One that has blessed us with everything that we own! This is when our things become idols!

Let's look again at the verse from 1 Timothy... "If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content."(6:8). So, we see that God is calling us to contentment... with the bare essentials. If we have covering (clothes... maybe a house!) and food... with these things, we should learn to be content. The things that sustain us? No! God sustains us! The things that God knows that we need in order to survive. Jesus tells us, in Matthew 6, that our Heavenly Father is faithful to provide the things that we need.

This verse has given me plenty of things to think on, today. I'm still digesting what it means to die to myself and live for Christ! I will leave you with these thoughts, and I would encourage you to take some time and think about these verses... examine yourself... where do you keep your treasures? Here on earth? I hope not! The riches of God's glory are far more lasting!

Grace and Peace!

Questions or Comments? E-mail me at afflquestions@yahoo.com.

No comments: