Thursday, August 14, 2008

Patience: Ramblings and Other Thoughts

"For Your salvation I wait, O LORD." -Genesis 49:18

"Wait for the LORD; be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD." -Psalm 27:14

"My soul waits in silence for God only; from Him is my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken." -Psalm 62:1-2

"Do not say, "I will repay evil"; Wait for the LORD, and He will save you." -Proverbs 20:22

Patience is hard... sometimes it's even discouraging. Have you ever felt like the worst person in the world because you lost your patience with someone and said things that you knew you would regret? What is it that causes us to do that?

You know, being patient when wronged is one of those things that goes against the grain of our sin-nature. The natural tendency of the human nature is to seek justice. But we, as Christians, are told to patiently endure all trials... that the testing of our faith produces perseverance! (James 1)

Perseverance! We struggle through one thing, only to face more trials... and through these trials we are tempered and molded to become more patient, more usable by our Father for His purposes. The skilled craftsman most often uses the tools that are the most durable and can withstand the strain of the task at hand. If you haven't learned to endure trials, you are shortchanging your effectiveness for the kingdom of God. Don't get me wrong, God can and will use you, wherever you are in your Christian life. However, the more that you grow in Him the more effective you will be, because you will be more saturated with Christ. We must move on from spiritual milk to the meat.

Dare to be the tool that God uses to change the world! Our first step in this direction is to model the behavior of Christ, in our own lives. That is why I began this study, was to become a more effective messenger of the Gospel. How can you lead where you have never been? If you hope to lead others in the ways of Christ, it is imperative that you too travel the same road. That is why it is important to exercise patience, so that we might not be found guilty of falling short in the areas that we tell others to work on. Friends, I truly am struggling with this issue. I strive for patience, but I am constantly tested, and most often I catch myself just a little too late!

Friends, this is my challenge for you, today.... That you would dare to be used of God in mighty ways, which of course means striving for Christ-like character. Strive for patience... and don't be discouraged if it takes some time to learn how to truly be patient in all circumstances. I don't think that patience is one of those things that we will ever understand and obtain fully, but we can become more and more patient as we endure more trials. The testing of our faith produces perseverance...

Wait patiently for the Lord... patiently handle conflicts that arise in your family... and exercise patience with others, that they may see the difference in you, which is Christ, that they might see Christ through you! This is my prayer for my own life and for yours! May God bless you as you exercise His patience in your life, today!

Grace and Peace!

Questions or Comments? E-mail me at afflquestions@yahoo.com .

No comments: