Monday, August 18, 2008

Kindness: An Overview

"For the despairing man there should be kindness from his friend;So that he does not forsake the fear of the Almighty." -Job 6:14

"What is desirable in a man is his kindness..." -Proverbs 19:22a

"Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." -2 Peter 1:5-8

You know... the further I go into this study, the more I realize how much change is going to be required of me. Thanks be to God, that it is not meant that I should accomplish these things of my own merit! I am going to need the help of the Holy Spirit to truly change most of these areas in my life.

Kindness is one of those things that is easy to show friends and others... but when it comes to family and those who are close to us... we begin to slip into our true selves. This is where the test of true kindness comes into play. Do we really understand kindness? Or are we just really good at practicing hospitality? I'm pretty sure anyone can be hospitable, if they want to. But can you show kindness, even to those whom you do not like, simply because Christ demanded kindness of us? Or, again, in the case of family... they are the one's whom we see on a daily basis, they know who we really are. Do we show the same kindness to those who know our true temperaments and know our faults? Or do we lower our guard and become the "hidden monster" that lies within us? This subject is one that I would like to deal with in more detail, at some other time... for now we will stick with the issue at hand.

Kindness is one of those things that we should be showing to everyone we come into contact with... The homeless man on the side of the road... The woman juggling children and groceries in the store... The weary soul that, quite simply, just needs someone to care and to listen... The brother or sister who needs help with a project, or just needs some encouragement... the list is endless!

I think we could change our cities, if we would just show kindness to everyone that we see on a daily basis. Start with your own home, for this is going to be the true training ground! If you can be patient, and show kindness towards the one's who know you best, you should have no trouble showing kindness towards the stranger in the grocery store... even something as small as a smile can change someones day! What if we got crazy with this? What if, beyond just smiling, we actually started talking with people, listening, giving them a little time out of our day? I'm quite certain you can spare 5 minutes from your schedule to change another person's day.

Well, I'm very excited to begin this study of kindness... I know, though, that it is going to require quite a bit of change on my part! For, as I've said in the past, I have not "arrived" in these areas in my life! I will be learning and attempting to apply these things, just as I hope that you will attempt to grow in these areas of your life.

For today... I will be praying that God will open my heart and my mind and show me ways that I can practice kindness. I will be praying that He will work in my life to develop kindness towards everyone, and not just selectively towards certain people. I hope that you would dare to join me in this life-changing concept of kindness. Our society seems to think that we have a license to be unkind whenever we are having a bad day or when we just don't feel like taking the "time" or "energy" to show a little kindness, but I think that it's about time for us to challenge this idea! To learn to show kindness in any situation!

Friends, please join me in growing kindness, godly kindness, in your lives! May God bless you as you seek His will for your life.

Grace and Peace!

Questions or Comments? E-mail me at afflquestions@yahoo.com .

No comments: