Monday, July 28, 2008

Joy: The Overview

"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing. But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. So you too should be glad and rejoice with me." - Philippians 4:14-18

"Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." - Psalm 51:12

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." - Romans 15:13

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." - James 1:2-5

So... Joy! Hmmmmm.... this is one of the fruits that I looked forward to studying because it's one of several that I struggle the most with.
You know, you can't have joy without having the love of Christ. That's why it's so important to first understand love. You don't have to have mastered love, but you must at least understand what true love looks like so that you can then learn what true joy is all about.
Joy is entirely different from happiness. It is displayed through, apparently, the same emotions but is an entirely different mindset than happiness. Happiness is all about comfort and circumstances being exactly as we would have them to be. Joy, on the other hand, is understanding who we are in Christ, and that He will supply everything that we need.
Happiness is easily lost when tragedy arises. But have you ever seen a person who walks with confidence through seemingly the most horrific of tragedies? That is what Joy is all about. It's the hope we have, through salvation, and the confidence in our Savior, no matter what the circumstances are!
I will be the first to admit that I don't always display the joy that should be seen in the life of a follower of Christ. I too constantly fool myself into thinking that this life is all about my personal happiness. I might not say these exact words to myself, but the idea behind it is still there.
Take a look at what James said in chapter 1 verses 2-5... "Consider it PURE JOY, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds..." Pure joy... Christ set the example for us of what true joy looks like:
"...fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." - Hebrews 12:2
The joy that Christ had was in pleasing His Father. This too should be our joy.... That we would please God in everything that we do! I am excited to go more in-depth into this topic in the next few days. Let us pray that God would reveal to us true joy and what it means to life a life that counts trials sent by Him to be the joy of our lives. "...being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." - Philippians 1:6
Friends, I'm afraid this is all that I have for today. I encourage you to earnestly seek after the joy of your salvation, that is Christ, and to hold tightly to the promise and the hope that is found there!
Grace and Peace, dear friends and fellow believers!

No comments: